Sportsmen working for the future of Nevada’s wildlife
After the almost total extinction of bighorn sheep in the state (once our most numerous big game animal), NBU has been instrumental in the reintroduction of all three species of bighorn into more than 60 mountain ranges throughout Nevada.
Fellow NBU Volunteers,
NBU’s Board of Directors is finalizing the 2015 Guzzler/Water Development project schedule. Below are tentative dates of some of projects we intend on completing this year, none of which are possible without the hard work and dedication of our amazing volunteers. Additional information/updates will be forthcoming and posted on our Calendar page.
* February 21, 2015 – Virginia Range Spring Development
* March 14, 2015 – Candalaria/Eastside Hills Guzzler Build
* April 4, 2015 – Ryolite/Gabbs Valley Guzzler Build (For project details, click here. For maps and directions to the project location, click here.)
* April 25, 2015 – Mineral County Guzzler Maintenance Projects (For project details, click here). (Maps: Gabbs Wildhorse, Gabbs Table Mtn., Excelsior Silver Dyke)
* May 16, 2015 – Cherry Mountain Guzzler Builds (For project details, click here. For maps and directions to the campsite and project locations, click here.)
* May 26-28, 2015 – NDOW Corral Spring Pipe Rail Project in Smith Creek Valley. (For project details, click here)
* June 20-21, 2015 – Spanish Flats/Winnemucca Ranch Fence Project (For project details, click here. For maps to camp and project sites, click here)
NBU Volunteer members - The 5th Annual Mason T. Ortiz Youth Outdoor Skills Camp will be held July 17-19 and is in need of volunteers for set-up and take-down.
May 12, 2015
NBU is accepting applications for the NBU Legacy Scholarship Program thru May 31, 2015. It is NBU’s goal to leave a legacy of wildlife conservation for future generations and supporting students with academic scholarships plays a key role in meeting this mission. If you are interesting in applying for this scholarship, please click here to download the application. Additional information on the NBU Legacy Scholarship Program can be found by clicking here.
Announcing the 2015 Silver State Nelson Desert Bighorn Sheep Tag. Please click here for information on how to win this hunt and the Sheep Hunters Bonus Package which includes thousands of dollars in hunting gear, taxidermy, and hunting guide services.
Read about NBU’s amended position on the proposed ewe hunts in Areas 068 and 253. Click here for the White Paper.
NBU has joined forces with Nevada Association of Counties, becoming a co-plaintiff in the lawsuit against the U.S. Department of Interior and the BLM. The intent of the lawsuit is to force the BLM to follow federal law regarding management of wild and feral horses on public land. NBU continues to support multiple uses on public lands, including an appropriate, sustainable horse population that is detrimental to neither the range nor the horses themselves.
Coalition for Nevada’s Wildlife
Sportsmen working for the future of Nevada's wildlife
Nevada Bighorns Unlimited (NBU) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) grass roots sportsmen’s conservation organization with over 3,500 members throughout Nevada, the western United States and North America. The mission of the organization is to protect and enhance Nevada’s wildlife resources for sportsmen, outdoor and wildlife enthusiasts for this and future generations. NBU volunteers do this through the reintroduction of big game, habitat conservation and improvement, public education and participation, biological and scientific research, and the influence of public policy. NBU has raised millions of dollars and logged thousands of volunteer hours in support of Nevada’s wildlife.